The Voter With No Name?
Back in the old Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns, Clint Eastwood cultivated a famous character type — the “man with no name.” If anything, he had a nickname that others used to refer to him (like “Blondie” from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly). He was fiercely independent, lived on his own, mostly outside of society, and was generally skeptical of organized structured society. Although this portrait is a movie stereotype of the “Western man” I thought of it when I saw these stats (under the fold) at Marc Ambinger’s.
Update: Bill Haines has cleared up the issue nicely; the short story: I don’t read clearly at 5am. 🙂
These poll numbers were taken from a recent CBS poll. The first two categories make sense, but the third one is odd. According to the poll, only 8% of Independent Voters are in the West, whereas the other 92% is fairly evenly divided up among the Northeast, Midwest and South. Why does the West stick out so much as having so few independents?
If this is right, the “man with no name” stereotype of the anti-establishment Westerner appears to be dead.
Anyone have any guesses as to why the West sticks out so much?